10.26.2008

g.g. comes to visit



my grandmother came to visit us for five days. she is a strong 75 years old, brimming with stories (like the time clint eastwood flirted with her right in front of my grandpa! and how ellen degeneres flew her out to los angeles and she was on the show to celebrate her 75th birthday). i hung on her every word. we drew out a family tree and she told me about each of her mother's 6 siblings and her father's 2 siblings. she detailed how her mother would make jam and ketchup and how she still has the banjo her father used to play.
grandma raised four girls and dog. she obtained her private pilots license and got to fly a 747 once. she continues to take classes on greece, how to declutter your life and computers at a local adult education center. she says her life is full of times where she was at the right place at the right time. i say she lives her life with an open heart and an open mind and seeks adventure on a daily basis, her life is bound to be full of blessings and miracles.


calvin called her g.g. which stood for great grandma. he loved her from the moment he saw her. he would call out "g.g. where are you?" and he sat in her lap and listened to her read book after book. when he woke up in the morning he would say, "shhh g.g. sleepin' ". it was adorable and i could tell that she enjoyed every smile, hug and word that calvin gave her.

i am so grateful that grandma made the trek out here to visit us and spend time telling us about her life. she (and we) hopes to make it an annual trip. i can't wait for next year...

*my grandma drove the school bus when my mom and aunts were little. here she is with her four girls getting ready to drive them the 50 mile route to school.

2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful, it made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn-

    That made me want to cry as well. I know how you feel. I wish I could have been there too. The weekend was just not enough with her.

    -Jess

    ReplyDelete