2.09.2006

gospel lunch

Once a month my school has something called 'classical cafe' (or as I saw a kid write in her journal today 'class school cafe) where we have singers/dancers/musicians from around the world come and play during an hour long lunch.

in honor of black history month we had a gospel group sing at lunch for the kids.

First I have to say that they were amazing! A woman recited Maya Angelou's poem 'Still I Rise' in a way that I will remember for the rest of my life. Also all the songs they sang were filled with emotion and history.

With that said...

It was extreamly religious! They asked the kids to do a lot of call and repeat. For example they would sing "God will save my soul" and then the kids would repeat it back.

At one point they asked the kids to repeat "Jesus washed my sins away" and a girl in my class who is Jewish looked at me and said "I am so not singing that".

Then they asked the kids what 'Amen' means. A boy raised his hand and said, "the end?"

The lady that recited the Maya Angelou poem said the poem was about Jesus. I have always thought it could represent anyone and everyone.

I am all for expanding horizons, but I feel like in a school where half the kids are Jewish, it was a bit inappropriate to have so many songs about Jesus.

Enough of my rant...

Survivor is starting and I can't wait to see the guy who quit smoking go crazy and freak out on everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment